My Jen
Bluberry
Pancakes
Hot Chocolate
Pesto Capellini
Carrot Pappardelle
Finger Limes
Flowers
Stumptown
Coffee
Modern BLT

2012/09/08

Birthday Wish

Today is my birthday and having started this blog to show one way I express my love for her, I am writing a very public love declaration to Jen.

Image by Janis Nicolay


Jen, as probably all of you know, is an incredible woman - she is talented, creative, beautiful, generous, ambitious, honest, loyal and loves Jesus.  We've been together for a very long time, against an enormous set of odds and I love her more every day.  Through everything, I've always told her that it was her smile that caught me, her eyes that captivated me, but her heart that kept me.

And that's the truth. Jen, above all, is heart. She puts her all into everything she does - whether it's running her business, playing around, or giving to someone in need. She is always first to reach into her pocket when she sees someone needing, and grieves for them privately after as she prays. She thanks me for all the things I do for her, and keeps an incredibly tidy house. She expresses her faith from the depth of her soul, and never misses a chance to do it. She treats everyone with respect, with dignity, and yet asserts herself with confidence.

Image by Yvonne Wong

I love that she notices the little things. I love that she hates my corny jokes and isn't afraid to tell me. I love that she is driven. I love that she twitches to do work while trying to relax, yet finds enough time to spend close to me. I love that we can walk and talk for blocks on end in the afternoons, that she loves her family with fervor, and that it's always authentic, always genuine.

I love Jennifer. I always have. She is my world and everything in it, and she's made that everything even better than I could have imagined.
oxox

11 comments:

  1. I got a little teary eyed after reading your post. This is a beautiful way to express your feelings for the one you love. Happy birthday and may the happiness and love continue in your lives. You two make a lovely couple.

    www.thesweetestoneoverthemoon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful words! You're an awesome husband! Happy Birthday to you!
    xo, Londa
    www.designroundup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! I love your blog and your wife's too. You guys sound like a beautiful couple.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday! Beautiful love letter to your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mat,

    Happy belated birthday! You are too sweet to be writing about Jen on your bday! She is pretty amazing and from reading her blog all these years it is easy to see how amazing you are too. I still remember the photos of the feast you made (think it was for thanksgiving) and how hard you worked on renovating your Los Vegas home with her. You two look like a great couple. I wish you nothing but the best for this year, may you flourish at your new job in NYC, that you have health and happiness and that Jen spoiled you rotten on your bday.

    All the best,
    mikky
    www.todaloos.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much ... we try to have fun, not just on birthdays, but every day. God blessed us with each other, so we try and honor Him by making the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO very sweet! Happy belated birthday, Mat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday to you Mat! I have enjoyed reading and following your sweet Jen's blog. You can feel the true to life spirit just in her everyday posts..embracing life, come what may.

    I look forward to following your blog as well! As a family & a couple we find peace and closeness to each other in cooking and enjoying food and fun.

    May you & Jen celebrate many birthdays together & always be the guardian of one another's solitude. The beauty of life is nothing without your best friend by your side. My husband and I have been married 10 years this past June. Im truly refreshed by seeing couples staying together & finding happiness in love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came cross this wonderful blog of yours. I am very impressed and happy for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gave me enormous goosebumps with a few tears as well. It is lovely to write something so precious about the nearest and dearest to you.

    Even though I have been married to my hubby for 8 years but 13 in total, we are still like puppies and it only feels like yesterday. Always a kiss goodnight. We have an engraved woodpiece on our wall which says forever.

    Food is such a lovely way of showing a person you love them dearly - you put your heart and soul in that by the looks of it. :)

    ReplyDelete