My Jen
Bluberry
Pancakes
Hot Chocolate
Pesto Capellini
Carrot Pappardelle
Finger Limes
Flowers
Stumptown
Coffee
Modern BLT

2012/08/23

Tea Rice

I am half Chinese and one would think I love rice but the fact is I find it pretty bland. In fact, growing up, I almost always put something on it - soy sauce, hot sauce, butter - anything to flavor it (and don't laugh but if you've never tasted it - try brown rice with yellow mustard).

Silver needle Jasmine for tea rice

I'd seen this done before but never tried it so I figured I'd give it a go. There is a Japanese dish - "ochazuke" - that uses green tea and short-grain, but I prefer the taste of jasmine rice and tea, which is much more fragrant and has an almost flowery taste.  You can use pretty much any brand, for this test I used Rishi Silver Needle Jasmine, which has a strong scent.

Ingredients:
1 Tb loose jasmine tea
2 1/4 C water
1 1/2 C jasmine rice (or other long-grain)
1/4 tsp sea salt

Boil the water and steep for 4 minutes, then discard the leaves. Put the brewed tea in a saucepan and bring to a boil, add the rice, cover and reduce to low. Cook rice until tender - about 15 minutes.

Serve with, well, anything that strikes you!

No comments:

Post a Comment